With more and more snail mail coming and going from my humble abode I have been lusting more and more after some amazing stationary.
There really is nothing better than writing and receiving letters. E-mail, eh. They’re nice, but letters are so much better and my hope is that my writing improves with the practice. Here are just a few very darling little postcards I came across on Etsy this week.
A great song and a lovely postcard from Here my Dear on Etsy.
Love the contrast of white and bright bold colors in these whimsical postcards from Chipmonk Cheeks on Etsy.
Pretty geometric postcards by mademoiselleyo on Etsy.
Love this fun and funky letterpress post card by Rebecca Ann Rakstad on Etsy.
I hope you all have a beautiful and lovely Thursday and that maybe you leave here little bit inspired to send everyone you know a pretty little postcard!
Posted in Etsy
Tagged artwork, Clever Plumage, crafters, Etsy, hand make my life, handmade, Hillery Sawyer, postcards, print, sellers, stationary
I decided to make my first ever __ before __ list this year (insert age you are and age you will be). I love setting goals and challenges for myself and I’ve always been good at short-term goals, just need to get better at the long-term. So here’s my little list of 25 things I want to do before I turn 26 next year.
I even left it in all of its messy glory as I felt I might be cheating rewriting it till it looked perfect, plus it’s just a list. Please forgive my spelling mistakes as hopefully they are not a reflection of my character. (:
I also forgot to edit these photos before uploading them. Ehhh, oh well. These were taken using the manual settings on our new camera with natural lighting. I am still learning. Today has been one of the busiest days of my life and writing this list and taking these photos was one of the finer, relaxed points of my morning.
That’s right, I’m lefty. Gazing out over brass snails into the black walnut tree.
Enjoying some savory un-roast sunflower seeds and raisins with a spot of tea to re-energize before moving on with my day.
My hope is that I can realistically complete most of the goals on this list in a years time. I am thinking of grouping them into long-term and short-term and then breaking the short-term into monthly to fit with my current goals and make the list a little less daunting. I tried to think realistically, but also challenge myself to go further.
It will be exciting to see a year from now what I was able to do and what might take me a bit more time. No harm in that, it’s all experience, gain, and learning.
Have you ever created a list like this? Been successful? If you’d like to, let me know what you think in the comments below.
Posted in About me
Tagged 2012, 25 before 26, birthday, Clever Plumage, Crafts, diy, Do it yourself, Goal setting, hand make my life, handmade, Hillery Sawyer, How to, improvement
Supplies: ||old bangles ||embroidery floss or crochet thread || scissors || chain ||
Step 1: Wrap the bangle. How tight or how loose is your preference.
Step 2: Begin wrapping around the bangle with large gaps of space between wraps creating your first round of the web. I always pulled my thread back up through the wrap so it would hold in place well.
Step 3: Continue wrapping till you get to the center, and tie in feathers, braids beads. Connect your chain the length you like with a jump ring and rock it!
I found these little plastic bangles in the grab bag that my amazing brass walnut came in. They were pretty uncomfortable and just kind of messy looking so I took a few and turned them into tiny dream catchers. This is a pretty quick project you can put together in about 30 minutes or so. These also make adorable wall art when grouped together and are the perfect size to mail as gifts as they fit inside an envelope well.
[Let me know if you'd like more details on the wrapping. My advice is just give it a go and find your method and do what you like best. Remember that your first round of wrapping will affect the shape of your finished project. I know the steps show me starting with five, but for the dream catcher pictured in the finished project I actually only used four wraps for my starting round. Those photos didn't turn out as good as the second set with my second dream catcher.]
Please feel free to tweet, facebook share, or pin this tutorial! The more the merrier ’round here!
Happy Crafty Tuesday!
Posted in DIY, How tos or Tutorials
Tagged Art, Clever Plumage, Craft, diy, dream, dream catcher, hand make my life, handmade, Hillery Sawyer, How to, Necklace, project, recycle, remake, reuse
I love my bike!
Oh my goodness. Etsy sellers take the cake when it comes to creative ways to outfit your bicycle. So many beautiful and incredible items. I’d love to deck out my bike with all of these ingenius and adorable bicycle accessories!
Wanting to live better and be more comfortable in our tiny apartment, I am constantly hoarding ideas and inspiration to organize and decorate our space. One of my main sources for inspiration is the Gypsy Caravan or Roulettes. Bright, colorful, and compact these dwellings make good use of every inch of space.
James and I’s bedroom, with it’s dormers and funny closet, is a little lacking in functioning space as it currently stands. Our dream is so really utilise every nook and cranny. To not only make room for long term storage, but also active storage – book shelves, day to day clothing storage, and also as odd as it sounds – long term food storage with a light controlled place to store our home canned goods. We want the bedroom to be a place we escape to, find cozy, comforting, and romantic. And a space that also functions well, with adequate storage, and is an easy place to get ready for the day.
We’d like to achieve this by lofting our bed for built in storage underneath, and at it’s foot, working with the slope of the roof. We’d also like to add a reading area in the window dormer with functioning storage underneath and and space beside with a mirror and a little storage to function as a vanity so we both aren’t squeezing into the little bathroom in the mornings.
We have similar hopes for our spare room which is almost exactly like our bed room. We’d like it to function as an office as well as have a space for two guests to enjoy themselves. We also want it to be a space that can easily transition when we have our first child (another 5 to 7 years down the road).
We are in this apartment for the long term and we are excited to find the best ways to organize the space, find the furniture that works, build what we can, and get rid of what we don’t need.
For more information on these images or on roulettes/caravans check out Jeanne Bayol or her blog. Her work is amazing!
Posted in 10 Things I love, DIY, Inspiration
Tagged Art, bohemian, boho, caravan, colorful, Decor, handmade, Home, inspiration, inspired, jeanne bayol, roulette
This week’s 10things I love is all about the beautiful and great southwest! I am really enjoying curating this feature each week and hope you all enjoy it as much as I do. Remember you can click on the images to be taken directly to their Etsy listing.
Hip hip hooray for hand made! Oh come on, I’m feeling cheesy. (:
1. A collector of feathers myself, I love the mix of soft suede with the pretty peacock, pheasant, and guinea feathers and the ikat fabric, feathers just make all the difference for me. Truthfully, you could stick a feather on anything and I’d love it. It excites a sense of liberation and honesty in me, so inspiring. Actually, I am super inspired by Laura, the maker of this lovely creation. I started reading her blog from the beginning last week, after I came across her shops and it’s been really amazing to see her journey and watch her bloom as an artist through her words and photos. It’s also been really uplifting as I put the final details on shop items I have been working on for the past million months. I know, enough already just show us the goods! Update soon I promise! Necklace $58 from Roots and feathers.
2. Isn’t this jacket so cool!? It’s made from an upcycled men’s coat and adorned with pretty faux fur. I’d say this lady has some skills. Her whole shop is amazing. It’s full of fun vintage items from the 60s and 70s as well as some vintage inspired lovelies. Ah I’m an addict! $98 from GitchiGamiClothing
3. Mmmm mmm. I am all about the asymmetrical skirt right now and I just love how the simple striped fabric has been cut at angles to create the pretty chevron pattern. I’ve got an old bed sheet that needs some love and I am thinking I might need another maxi to add to my stash. Not so keene on making your own? You can snag this one on Etsy. Skirt $60 from ScissorClothing
4. So pretty, simple, and stunning! I don’t wear a lot of sterling silver, I’ma bronze/gold gal myself, but when I saw this ring I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. Love the simple stamped ikat pattern. Ring $60 from melaniefavreau
5. Too cute. That’s all I have to say. I this dress is just so adorable, there I said it again, just kinda different. I love the low back, so pretty and perfect for summer with sandal wedges! Dress handmade $50 from BetterStayTogether.
6. Oh my goodness. Smitten. These leggings are incredible and if I had a pair it’d be hard to not find me in them. I mean they are so bright you could see me from miles away! tee hee. And let’s be honest, I would wear them everyday. Leggings $58 from PeekoApparel.
7. So pretty – hand died leather triangles adorned with bronze chain. What a perfect piar to wear anywhere! Haha. I am sorry I am a goof. I am actually finishing this post up at 3 in the morning. I love long dangly earrings and these make a lovely statement. Mariage Earrings olivesandpearls $29
8. Bold and beautiful bib. A sucker for turquoise right here. This necklace couldn’t be more perfect, turquoise is a purification stone and is often associated with the heart and throat chakras. It helps absorb negativity and promotes self realization, and creativity! While this necklace isn’t made from actual turquoise, it is made from recycled newspaper! Which is just as cleansing for our heart chakras when you think about all the good it’s doing for our mother earth. That’s right newspaper. Mind blowing. Necklace $34 from KikiKoyote.
9. I just had to share one of Andi’s bags. So in love with her recent southwestern set. It’s really amazing, she takes old men’s leather coats and turns them into these beautiful one of a kind hand bags, and purses. Someday, sigh, someday. I have also been reading Andi’s blog a lot recently and her story is also ringing true for me. So many inspiring ladies out there really doing what their hears and hands love. And she’s Canadian, and everyone knows I love Canadians. (: Bag $295 from hoakonhelga.
10. Such a breath taking painting. Reminds me of my own personal and spiritual journey, how my soul feels like a desert sometimes, and I mean that in the best way possible. Soul searching is a beautiful thing, and this is such a lovely painting. JOURNEY 49 Acrylic on Canvas $50 from KathyMortonStanion.
ooh lolly lolly lolly
I hope you found today’s 10 things I love inspiring. I, myself have been channeling all this inspiration into some poetry and art journaling. Putting pen to paper sure is a liberating feeling, especially when the sun is a shining and the birds chirping. I have been trying to hone in on my calligraphy skills as well. Which has been fun and interesting. I like choosing a little monthly goal or hobby to work on.
March has been such a wonderful month. James and I experienced so much joy, celebration, and growth and it’s really got me ready for this new journey known as April. I am so excited and ready for each day. I think in April I’d like to work on my macrame skills. It’s a skill I have always been enamoured with. And heck since I bought those two big spool of cording and crochet thread at VV last month for a dollar a piece, I figured macrame would be the perfect craft to get to know them better. Oh yeah, my old nikon goes to the shop today! Still not sure where my little cannon walked off to, but excited to get photographing again!
I hope you have a lovely day,
Posted in 10 Things I love, About me, Etsy
Tagged Better Stay Together, bronze, earrings, Etsy, fashion, GitchiGamiClothing, handmade, hoakonhelga, jewelry, Kathy Morton Stanion, Kiki Koyote, leggings, Melanie Favreau, Olives and Pearls, Peeko Apparel, Roots and Feathers, Scissors Clothing, Skirt, southwestern, Spiritual journey, sterling silver, style
Whooo! This sure is a long awaited post. I just love crafty tutorials and love searching out new and amazing designs and projects around the blogosphere. It’s quite exhilarating.
Remember you can click through the images to the tutorials.
….1. These ‘Pretty Patchy Paper Lanterns’ are made using scrap fabric and card stock. I love how versatile the project can be depending on what scraps you have lying around. Tutorial and images via: Lola Nova
2. Aren’t these painted camera straps great? I am in need of a new camera strap for my old Nikon and I this DIY is really inspiring me to make my own! Tutorial and images via: Design Love Fest
3. These cloud lights are incredible! They are made with a paper lanter, cotton batting, and flameless candles. I would love to make something like this to put over our guest bed or a reading knook. So whimsical; and everyone knows I love whimsy. Tutorial via: Wedding Nigh Image Via: Alexis Mires Flickr
4. Call me a sucker for everything tacky, but I love this necklace display made with faux antlers and silk flowers mounted on a reclaimed pallet. Tutorial and Images found via: A Beautiful Mess
5. Kinsey’s sandal revamp where she adds a simple leather fringe. Tutorial and image via: Sincerely Kinsey
6. I am a sucker for macrame. and love the neon cording against the white bowl. I have a ton of vases left over from our wedding and lots of black cording. I’ve got to make some of these to complete my dream of a hanging garden in our living room. Tutorial and image via: Refinery 29 Love that site.
Notice a trend? (:
Well besides the sandals – I just threw those in there because I am dreaming of warmer weather.
I really want to work on pulling my living room together this weekend. It’s in need of some real TLC and a spring make over! Do you have any projects big or small planned for the weekend? Any crafty plans? I am definitely making some time this weekend to get my craft on!
I hope you have a fun Friday night and beautiful weekend!