Who doesn’t like hearts? I love hearts, in fact when I was 6 years old I wrote a song about how much I love hearts. The lyrics were very simple, but as long as you had an echo megaphone everything sounded awesome.
Today however, my love of hearts has led me to putting together this tutorial for this hearts on a string, Cupid’s arrow necklace. This project will take approximately an hour with some paint drying time.
You will need:
- 4 2×2 in scraps of vinyl/vegan leather any color
- approx. 2 and a half feet link chain
- 6 small jump rings
- 1 large jump ring
- 1 clasp
- needle nose pliers
- Acrylic craft paint
- mod podge or watered down craft glue for sealing
- sharp needle for awl
- Draw out your 3 heart shapes with a pen on the back of your vinyl/vegan leather making each one slightly small than the other.
- Cut them out.
- Draw your arrow shape on the back of your last piece of vinyl.
- Cut it out.
- Grab your craft paint in your choice of colors. I chose the three primary colors red, blue, and yellow. I also chose to leave my medium sized heart brown and paint the arrow red.
- Paint several coats allowing each one to dry. For the blue it only took 3 coats, but both the red and yellow took 6 or seven. [[[lots of waiting so go grab a cup of tea and re-coat during sips. (:]]]]]
- After you are satisfied with your colors seal the paint with mod podge or a little watered down craft glue.
- Then take your awl or sharp needle and poke holes in the center of the heart bumps and slightly off center on your arrow.
- Take and slip your jump rings through the holes you just poked, being careful not to rip the vinyl.
- Cut your chain into the length you want to go around your neck. Cut four short lengths making each cut a few eighths of an inch longer than the last.
- Thread the longest short chain onto the arrow and close the jump ring.
- Then go from smallest hear to largest putting the longest chain on the smallest heart.
- Take your larger jump ring and open it up. First thread on the largest heart, then medium, then small, then arrow. Slip on the long chain piece close to the center and close the jump ring.
- Lastly attach your clasp with a jump ring to one side and an empty jump ring to the other side.
There you have it! An adorable Cupid’s arrow necklace knockin’ ’em all down. Go out there in the world and rock it.